[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4284: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4286: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4287: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4288: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
Webster Telescopes Forum • View topic - Collimation
Webster Telescopes Forum
A Frendly Place for Serious Astronomers
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Collimation
PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:52 pm 

There seems to be a lot of products out there that promise to collimate a scope the best. What do you guys recommend/use to collimate one of your big scopes?

Thanks

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Collimation
PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:56 pm 
Site Admin

The Glatter BLUG is the easiest way to collimate a large truss telescope :

http://www.greatredspot.com/collimator.htm

If you wanted to take things to the 9th degree, the Catseye Autocollimator can sometimes (maybe 1 in 4) show you a tiny amount of residual error and allow you to easily correct it.

http://catseyecollimation.com/

All Webster scopes made in the last few years come complete with Catseye center spots already installed so you will be ready to go.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:27 am 

One thing I am puzzled about is the difference between the Blug and the Tublug. I have skimmed the info on them a couple times and it doesn't seem to really explain.

I already have the catseye tools and the Glatter laser & barlow - my collimation tools are threatening to outnumber eyepieces ;) - but these look like they would let you avoid walking back and forth from the back of the scope to the front while adjusting the primary, which would be a good thing.

jimwebster wrote:
All Webster scopes made in the last few years come complete with Catseye center spots already installed so you will be ready to go.

Cool, I was wondering about what kind of center spot to expect.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:34 am 

Okay, I did manage to find a discussion and it seems the Tublug and Blug differ in how they are attached to the focuser... some say the Tublug is more convenient but it isn't really clear why...

At this point I am leaning towards the Blug since it seems simpler and yeah it is a little cheaper...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:27 am 

The Blug will not properly fit in the Feather Touch focuser (as per Howie). The Tublug was designed for solid tube (Tube Blug) scopes where the inside of the focuser cannot be seen and fits in the focuser the same as an eyepiece. I use the Tublug with all my truss scopes because they all have Feather Touch focusers. One disadvantage of the Tublug is that it is over 6-1/2" long and takes up a lot of space in your eyepiece case. Recently Howie has a new Blug (not yet advertised). I believe he's calling it the "Flug" and it is designed for the Feather Touch focuser and is much smaller than the Tublug. You can call him direct for more information.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:17 am 

Thanks Dave! Maybe I'll hold out for the "Flug."

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:16 am 

Hi Guys (and gals)!

If you don't want to be running the ladder when you collimate:
I have a StellaCam2 and I usually just pop it in the eyepiece (1.25") and flip on the tv monitor. Just watch tv and get the C as good as possible. And when you're done, you can see (B&W) all the stuff you can not see with your eye through the eyepiece. Instant gratification if you don't want to process astro images. Works great on my 8" and 14" SCTs. I assume you can collimate a dob using the airy disc also?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:50 pm 

I just cut a ring of thin plastic and the BLUG works perfectly in the Feathertouch. I had heard that Howie has units in stock that are Feathertouch ready.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:19 am 

Found a place online that carries the Flug, for anyone else who may be interested:

http://www.scopecity.com/detail.cfm?ProductID=6219