[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4284: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4286: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4287: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4288: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
Webster Telescopes Forum • View topic - F and Primary Suggestions
Webster Telescopes Forum
A Frendly Place for Serious Astronomers
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: F and Primary Suggestions
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:04 pm 

Im rather new to LARGE dob scopes, but throughly enjoy reading about designs and configurations of many units available. However, being rather new to this hobby, Im not sure of a couple of things that may help me decide which sizes I would need for order.

First off, what does the "F" mean, when many scopes are referencing F5 or F8's. I don't expect anyone to hold my hand and teach me, however a link to a website where I could read in detail, all the information would be quite helpful.

Second, of course I am deffinatly interested in solar planetary viewing with great clarity and crisp images, But my main interest is galatical viewing, nebula's, black holes, etc. I understand that I won't see anything simular to a hubble scope photo due to it being a combination of UV, and x-ray overlays...but seeing these wonders would be phenomenal to me. So, my question is...what size mirror's would I need to view these wonders?

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: F and Primary Suggestions
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:51 pm 
Site Admin

In astronomy, f/ratio is simply the Focal Length (the distance that the mirror comes into focus) divided by the primary mirror diameter. So, if we had a mirror that came to focus 100 inches away from its front surface, and that mirror was 25" in diameter, we would say that the mirror was a f/4 mirror (100 / 25 = 4 ). If the same 25" mirror was ground to come to focus 150" away from its surface it would be called a f/6 mirror (150 / 25 = 6 ) .

If you just wanted to view the planets and our moon, a quality 10" telescope would be a good choice. But, for Galaxies, Nebula and other "deep sky" viewing you want as much aperture as you can afford. The deep sky objects are dim, so you need a big mirror to collect a lot of light.

Post subject: Re: F and Primary Suggestions
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:16 pm 

Hello.

You might find this useful:

In photography the focal ratio varies the focal-plane illuminance (or optical power per unit area in the image) and is used to control variables such as depth of field (the background blurred while the subject is in focus).

When using an optical telescope in astronomy, there is no depth of field issue, and the brightness of stellar point sources in terms of total optical power (not divided by area) is a function of absolute aperture area only, independent of focal length.

The focal length controls the field of view of the instrument and the scale of the image that is presented at the focal plane to an eyepiece, film plate, or CCD. (Wikipedia)

What does all of this mean? The lower the f/ number, the wider the field of view. This is more visible sky in a given eyepiece. The lower the f/ number the less magnification an eyepiece will render. A lower f/ number makes a shorter telescope.

Clear Skies,
-Scott