[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4284: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4286: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4287: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4288: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
Webster Telescopes Forum • View topic - Astrocrumb Filter Slide
Webster Telescopes Forum
A Frendly Place for Serious Astronomers
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Astrocrumb Filter Slide
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:20 am 

Hi everyone,

When I picked up my 24" dob, Eric recommended the SIPS as an alternative to the Paracorr II. To be fair, the SIPS would be preferred as it does not require ongoing adjustment in the field, as does the PII.

But, the SIPS is not compatible with the Astrocrumb filter slide if using a Feathertouch focuser, as the AC mounts to the interior of the Feathertouch. This is also how SIPS is mounted.

I'd like the convenience of SIPS, but I'm not ready to forego the utility of the AC.

Bill H.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Astrocrumb Filter Slide
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:40 pm 

BlueRidge wrote:
Hi everyone,

When I picked up my 24" dob, Eric recommended the SIPS as an alternative to the Paracorr II. To be fair, the SIPS would be preferred as it does not require ongoing adjustment in the field, as does the PII.

But, the SIPS is not compatible with the Astrocrumb filter slide if using a Feathertouch focuser, as the AC mounts to the interior of the Feathertouch. This is also how SIPS is mounted.

I'd like the convenience of SIPS, but I'm not ready to forego the utility of the AC.

Bill H.

Hi Bill,
To say that the SIPS is not compatible with the astrocrumb filter slide is not 100% true but almost... I've used my AC slide with my SIPS with success on several occasions but with some difficultly. For me I need to get my priorities right, the SIPS works great and supersedes whatever may follow (yes...it supersedes whatever may follow). What follows is the filter slide and that has introduced difficulties for me. It is a great product but for my observing habits which include checking mirror alignment the filter slide must be removed and afterwards reattached (pain late at night). Also to be clear the slide does mount to the threads on the SIPS not the Feathertouch. So if you're trying to decide about the SIPS or P-II vs the filter slide, go with the SIPS (remember the SIPS supersedes). Get the views looking the way they should then add the filters the best way you can. I have my way as others have theirs.
dave...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:14 am 

BlueRidge wrote:

But, the SIPS is not compatible with the Astrocrumb filter slide if using a Feathertouch focuser

The SIPS is 100% compatible with the Astrocrumb filter slide.

We have it installed on the SIPS in these pictures:

http://webstertelescopes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=617

Like Dave said, the Astrocrumb screws into the threads on the rear of the SIPS itself; not the Feathertouch.

If your threaded nose-piece is too large, you were accidentally sent the wrong part. Call Roger and I'm sure he'll make it right. Remind him you are using the SIPS.

-

Installing or removing the entire filter slide takes about the same amount of time as it does to install a single filter the old fashion way:

Screw in the nose-piece, and tighten the two wing nuts on the slide.

15 seconds and you are good to go.

I'll take some detailed pictures and post them soon.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:48 pm 

Hmmmmmmm, I apologize if I'm wrong. The link doesn't show any detail behind the AC filter slide (gorgeous 30", however!), and it seems the SIPs would tend to push the AC further towards the mirror (?). The smaller nosepiece with the AC would help!!

I could live with that, though Dave's post has got me wondering if there's something more to it.

As to the usefulness of the AC, I've gotten to the point where I wouldn't want to do without it. I use a combination of the UHC, O-III, Skyglow Broadband and H-beta filters for DSOs. It's incredible what becomes visible by blinking filters in and out (try it on Simeis 147, IC405, the Veil, etc.). But I don't think I'm ready for an eight-position slide just yet (curious what Steve is looking at that he wanted that many!)

For larger dobs, get that little paddle extension (option) on your AC slide. You'll be glad you did!

BTW, the filter slide does not have to be removed for aligning the mirror (assuming you mean collimation) if you purchase the TuBlug instead of the Blug.
Bill