[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4284: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4286: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4287: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4288: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
Webster Telescopes Forum • View topic - Primary mirror installation
Webster Telescopes Forum
A Frendly Place for Serious Astronomers
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Primary mirror installation
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:02 pm 

Hi

I guess the mirror in a 28" or 30" will be close to a 100lbs and getting it into the mirror box looks difficult as the gap between the mirror and mirror box is an inch or two?
Do you have to tilt the mirror to get it past the mirror box lip?
Any chance of the next time you install a mirror in a big dob you could video the procedure and post on youtube?

Thank-you

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Primary mirror installation
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:15 am 
Site Admin

First, put the cardboard cover back on the mirror with some blue painter's tape.

Get a 2nd person to help.

Spin the 3 mirror safety clips out of the way, and lift the mirror out.

If tilting the mirror makes it easier to lift, then do so.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:27 am 

Hello, I am new to this forum and large telescopes in general and would like feed back if necessary, thanks...

Here is my question:
Would it be possible to install the mirror prior to installing the tailgate assembly to the mirror box? What I mean is, you would put the mirror into its cell, then lift the mirror box up and over the tailgate and mirror and then just bolt the cell to the box, then you would be done.

I feel like this would save any risk from dropping your piece of fortune, and would seem like the most logical step toward the installation process of the mirror. With mirrors as large as 30", I would defiantly take the easier route, does this seem like an easier route or could you possibly drop the box on the mirror when you are bringing it over?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:20 pm 
Site Admin

Kurt Foster wrote:

Here is my question:
Would it be possible to install the mirror prior to installing the tailgate assembly to the mirror box? What I mean is, you would put the mirror into its cell, then lift the mirror box up and over the tailgate and mirror and then just bolt the cell to the box, then you would be done.

I feel like this would save any risk from dropping your piece of fortune, and would seem like the most logical step toward the installation process of the mirror. With mirrors as large as 30", I would defiantly take the easier route, does this seem like an easier route or could you possibly drop the box on the mirror when you are bringing it over?

You could of course put the mirror in the cell and then install the cell, but just remember to keep the cardboard cover on the mirror until the cell is completely installed.

Our 36 to 48" scopes have a flip down mirror cell because those mirrors are quite heavy.

But a 32" or smaller is easy to install conventionally by one or two people.

I install 28" and smaller mirrors all by myself, but 30" or larger it's a 2 man job for sure.