[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4284: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4286: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4287: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4288: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
Webster Telescopes Forum • View topic - Webster C28 For Sale
Register    Login    Forum    Members    FAQ

Board index » C Series

Post subject: Webster C28 For Sale
 Post Posted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:12 pm 

Erik Webster suggested I post this here. Sadly, I'm needing to part with my lifetime dream telescope, a Webster C28. I'm no expert, so for an expert's point of view, you can read Astromart Moderator David Bonandrini's review of this same scope at http://www.astromart.com/articles/article.asp?article_id=443, which is pointed out on the 28" f/3.6 page. This review article has the best description of this scope possible, and by an expert, with good photos. And it is this scope he was reviewing. I bought it a few months after the review. In fact, it's why I bought this scope. But if you want more pictures taken, I'll gladly set it up and take any picture you want of anything on the scope.

The setup is stunningly easy for even one person, and can be left set up and just wheeled around on detachable wheels with barrow handles. I'm selling because where this scope is locatecd is at a family property where an oil derrick has recently been contructed nearby, thus polluting the previously perfect sky with their almost Space Shuttle Launch Tower brightness. I have nowhere else to keep and use it. I sometimes kept it set up in the garage, and when I would arrive to view, I'd wheel it out and be ready to go in 10 minutes. The complete setup, however, is about 20 minutes.

With an eyepiece height of only 93", many people will only be two steps up on a stepstool at zenith. Webster shaved every possible inch off the height of this instrument and have produced a telescope over 2 feet shorter than their competitor's 24" and 25" scopes. In fact, the C28 is shorter than most of their competitor's 20" scopes!

The C28 features amazing, wide field views courtesy of Kennedy Optics, and was one of the last 28" American Pyrex glass mirrors made. This one's a classic.

Includes full GOTO with a factory installed ServoCAT, Argonavis Digital Telescope Computer, Powered Ground Board (no cable wrap blues), premium Secondary Dew Heater and four cooling fans. It also comes with wheelbarrow handles with 13" pneumatic wheels, Telrad finder, black cloth rip-stop light shroud, and Feathertouch 2 speed focuser.

All of the above and Webster's legendary service (just call and register the serial number with them as the new owner - who else other than Webster would let you do that?).

If you have been looking for an Ultra Premium large Dob, you know how seldom Webster scopes come up on the used market. Owners almost never part with them!

Webster C28s with the ServoCAT, Argonavis and Powered Ground Board now run over $23,000, so this would seem to be a pretty good deal, but I'll entertain offers.

I'll deliver the scope to you (lower 48 States only, please!) and give you the best hands on demonstration of how one person can set this scope up all by themselves.

I shortened the truss tubes to accommodate the use of a Mallincam video camera, but eyepieces still work. However, should you prefer to have factory length truss tubes, I'm happy to pay for those as well. The present truss tubes have traveled quite a lot and have minor scuffs here and there.

The upper tube assembly has a small scrape and minor dent.

In setting it up one day in summer a single drop of sweat fell off my chin and onto the primary mirror. I decided against wiping it off. Cleaning a mirror of that quality (it weighs over a hundred pounds) is something of a project, and so I put it off. The sweat actually dissolved the coating and mirroring in that one spot, but doesn't affect the quality of the views or the perfect star test one iota. If you talk to Webster Telescopes they'll tell you about the periodic necessity of recoating mirrors of this caliber. It's by no means necessary yet, but could be within three or four years depending upon your use, humidity, and so on.

This scope is in very good condition and I'm truly sorry I have to let it go. When used with the Mallincam digital video camera it provided views on a par with the best astrophotography. Truly incredibl views. with eyepieces, you will not believe what it is like to look at the planets!

You can reach me, Jason Davis, at 801.694.9136.

Thanks.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Webster C28 For Sale
 Post Posted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:59 am 

Jason, unless I've missed something, I'm not seeing an asking price.
Not that I can afford it right now, but was curious of the amount. -David.

Post subject: Re: Webster C28 For Sale
 Post Posted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 3:33 pm 
Site Admin

http://www.bluewaterastronomy.info/

The scope has been sold and has a new home at the Bluewater Observatory.

Board index » C Series