[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4284: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4286: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4287: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4288: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
Webster Telescopes Forum • View topic - Rear light shroud for C Series telescope
Register    Login    Forum    Members    FAQ

Board index » C Series

Post subject: Rear light shroud for C Series telescope
 Post Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:31 pm 

Does anyone have experience with a successful light shroud for the C series scopes? I have a C22, and made a shroud out of 1/4" plywood with cutouts for the fans, alignment knobs, and each of the bolts projecting from the mirror cell frame. I used 1/4" thick rare earth magnets to attach it to the metal frame.

Unfortunately, even with a total of 1/2" width, there is insufficient clearance, and it gets caught with the cable loom for the fans.

Has anyone had a more successful experience?

thanks!!

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Rear light shroud for C Series telescope
 Post Posted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:56 pm 
Site Admin

1/16" Kydex sheet would be a better choice.

Using 1/16" adhesive magnetic strips to attach it to the cell frame. You can get a 25 foot roll for about $9 on Amazon. The adhesive is very tacky, so make sure you get it right the first time.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:38 pm 

Thank you.

I ended up using Kydex 0.04" thickness, with low-profile velcro. I was able to cover the rectangle with the fans (with holes for the fans, collimation knobs and projeting bolts and nuts) and thermo-molded the kydex to match the 150 degree angle and project over the rear part, leaving a 3" gap. I thermo-formed a right angle over the rear 1/2 " where the kydex crossed the mirror without support except on the two sides. The 1/2" right angle provides sufficient support to stop the Kydex from flexing. I am hopeful that blocking light from neighboring astronomers at dark sites will help me squeeze out faint fuzzies.

Please let me know if anyone is interested in more details.

-Sam

Post Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:55 pm 
Site Admin

You know everyone wants to see some pictures posted!

Post Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:01 pm 

I didn't take any as I was building it. The next time I set up the scope will likely be at TSP, and I will plan to take some pictures then, and post.
-Sam

Post Posted: Wed May 03, 2017 9:30 pm 

Here are a couple of pictures. Any update on relocation?

Board index » C Series